Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Signing off from D.C. (for now)

My time in the District has come and gone, for now. I am writing this last Capitol Transmission from home, back in Maine, and the absolute silence, coldness, and darkness punctuated by stars is a sharp contrast to the last five months spent in the Washington D.C. area.
    
The time has come for retrospection. During my time in Washington, I fell in love with the city, the atmosphere, the type of people that move the town. Washington, unlike Maine or even most of New England, is more urban, more young, more professional and faster paced. While my drive back to Maine gave me a renewed appreciation for the natural beauty of my home state, I still miss the accessibility, the social atmosphere, the pace in Washington. Sure, most cities will share this, but Washington is home to the policy wonk, a Hollywood for political nerds.
       
In my last weekend or two, I am proud to report that I powered through a miniature bucket-list of to-do items. The first weekend in May saw me visit the National Building Museum (which I have long wanted to see, being a hopeless addict for infrastructure), the National Zoo (always a must-see), and King Street, down in Alexandria, VA.
   

A brief plug for the National Building Museum is in order. Sexy in name it is not, and its exhibits can seem as laughable as one on a Parking Garage. But, if you are anything like me, the history and information about buildings and infrastructure makes this a must-see. Housed in the gigantic and historic former Pension Office, the museum structure itself is worth checking out. Also: don’t miss an exhibit (as I did the first time) on the history of Washington, D.C. from the vantage of infrastructure and development. 

The National Zoo, of course, is always fascinating and fun for the whole family. I was accompanied on this particular adventure with my roommate Tom, who came along despite a general lack of interest in most animals. A side benefit for me, aside from the pandas and so forth, was getting to ride one of Northern America’s longest escalators up from the red line Metro station at Woodley Park (a 2 minute, 20 second ride). I never quite had the chance to use the Wheaton escalator, which I am told is even longer.


My time in Washington would not have been nearly as enjoyable if I weren’t so damn lucky with the people I met there. My biggest tip of the hat must go to my high school classmate Chelsea, who kicked my interlude in the city up several dozen notches. Further nods of my head go to my fellow interns at KSCW, who provided endless amusement, great conversation, and who also put up with my various eccentricities (such as my fascination with the Metro). Another nod must go to my employers at KSCW, who have created an intern program that is, without a doubt, among the best I have ever heard of. Final nods are in order for friends I met through The Washington Center: we had many laughs together.
       
While I’m on a roll: a special thank you to Sara, who is one of the most approachable, bright and simultaneously humble people at The Washington Center (no, she didn’t pay me to say this). Sara provided a great mentor for the bloggers, and she entertained a few harebrained ideas from this particular blogger. In doing so, she taught me a great deal and I will always remember her as a great mentor in that regard.
       
On a final note: a round of thanks are in order for my family and my girlfriend. Without their support and patience, Washington would not have been at all enjoyable for me. Now, even though I’m sad to have left D.C., I can look forward to a summer with them.
   
Before I start weeping and thanking the cleaning staff, the crazy guy who looks like Dr. Brown on the Metro, and that persistent cashier at Manchu Wok, I will sign off. Thank you, dear reader, for following this blog and I hope we can talk again in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment